HOURS OF OPERATION– After School Programs are open every school day from dismissal bell until 6pm.
PATTERSON JOINT UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT’S STRATEGIC PLAN:
“PJUSD, the Central Valley’s vibrant educational community, offering world-class academics with a small-town feel, ensures that all students will graduate as resilient, confident innovators and contributing citizens with the knowledge and the 21st century skills and experience to create their own futures and pursue personal and professional fulfillment.”
Patterson’s After School Programs are committed to those Plan Goals by:
- PROVIDING LANGUAGE ARTS INTERVENTION IN SMALL GROUPS AND ONLINE
- SUPPORTING COMMON CORE STANDARDS HOMEWORK DAILY
- PROVIDING DAILY ACCESS TO MULTIPLE FORMS OF TECHNOLOGY (iPads, Chromebooks, desktop computers)
- UTILIZING COLLABORATIVE LESSON PLANS FOR “DISGUISED LEARNING” THAT’S FUN
- COMMITTED TO THE DISTRICT’S ‘NO EXCUSES UNIVERSITY’PHILOSOPHY THAT EVERY STUDENT DESERVES THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE EDUCATED IN A WAY THAT PREPARES THEM FOR COLLEGE IF THEY SO CHOOSE
…ALL WITH THE PRIORITY OF MAKING SURE EVERY CHILD FEELS A SENSE OF BELONGING IN A SAFE, NURTURING ENVIRONMENT
Research has shown that After School Programs…
- Support and complement classroom learning by emphasizing social, emotional and physical development.
- Provide opportunities for informal learning.
- Provide a positive emotional climate without as much punitive adult supervision because of lower ratios of students to adults.
- Provide activities that support socialization with peers.
- Include time for physical and creative activity.
NUMBER OF STUDENTS SERVED—District-wide approximately 750 students are served daily, among the six K-8th programs.
- ASP DISCIPLINE POLICY -- We operate on a “three-strikes-and-you’re-out” system – so if a child receives 3 conduct violations, we may exit him/her permanently from the program.Violations are for breaking School or ASP rules and parents are informed.
- ASP HOMEWORK POLICY--The 90 minute academic portion of ASP is set aside Mon-Thurs each week from 3--4:30pm, with “Fun Fridays” off.If your child is participating in our teacher-referred intervention program, 30 minutes of that academic segment is dedicated to their small-group intervention, leaving 60 minutes for homework time. For those students participating in our teacher-referred intervention program, attendance is REQUIRED until at least 4:30pm, Monday-Thursday.
- *Students will not be allowed to return to their classrooms if they forget their homework.It is their responsibility to bring it with them each day.
- *Please be advised that homework will not be checked for 100% accuracy or completion.After School Staff will oversee the academic time.We strive to create a homework-healthy environment…quiet, with a desk and a little help if needed.We are not however, able to tutor children.If a student has continuous problems with scheduled assignments, a parent/teacher conference should be scheduled.
WHAT DO THEY DO IN THE PROGRAM?Directly following school, the students report to your school’s designated After School area.In most cases, we gather in the cafeteria. We then take attendance and share a healthy supper meal.The students are given 15 minutes to eat and spend time with their friends. During this time, while we are all together as a group, we typically go over announcements, maybe play a quick game, sing a song.Following supper, students are released for a water/ bathroom break.We then go into designated classrooms by grade-level groups, adhering to a student-to-adult ratio of no more than 20:1 and begin a 90 minute academic period to work on homework, and those referred to us by a teacher participate in language arts intervention during this time as well.Most do their silent reading and when time allows, they play academic games that we call “disguised learning” because they’re fun for the students so they don’t know they’re learning!
Following this academic time, students either participate in an enrichment activity, (arts and crafts, science experiments, computer lab…) or outdoor recreation (sports, games, dancing, relays, calisthenics…).Toward the end of the program, all students gather for purely fun, group games. The program closes at 6:00 pm.